Tuesday 13 September 2011

Welcome to My Blog

This ain't Rosedale. This definitely ain't Yorkville. This ain't even Riverdale. Welcome to Moss Park, Toronto, ON.

My name is MaryLenore Arsenault and I have owned the public relations company Be-Bop Communications Inc. for going on 23 years. Most of my clients have encompassed the entertainment sector ranging from music to theater to entertainment venues to award shows to children's entertainers. During these 23 years, I have been based in Toronto, New York City, Nashville and have just returned back to Toronto. I was honoured to receive the Independent Publicist of the Year Award at Canadian Music Week, March 2001.

One of my all-time favourite past times is checking out vintage stores. Where most people pick a vacation spot they want to check out the local list of tourist attractions. The first thing I do is compile a list of local vintage shops to visit.

My style combines vintage with contemporary and (mostly) second-hand designer finds. I am constantly stopped on the street with people commenting on my unusual style and asking where I have purchased certain wardrobe items. I want this blog would combine my love for vintage fashion plus let people know the brand/designer and more importantly, the source of that specific clothing item. Since my professional schedule includes attending various weekly entertainment events this blog will cover where I went and what I wore.

Moss Park is the neighbourhood where my partner, Terry Nichols & I currently reside. Politicians keep talking about the gentrification of Moss Park & Regent Park. That gentrification is starting to happen but the neighbourhood still lives up to its past reputation. . I hope this blog will also provide a new insight to the population, gentrified, and more importantly, non-gentrified living in this downtown community.

With our vintage and eclectic wardrobes, Terry & I definitely stand out in the hood. We've had compliments on our attire from just about everyone:

  • the local drug dealer on the corner (evening ma'am) – which I give full credit to my Grandma's 1950's vintage mink coat, or was it Terry's black leather motorcycle jacket?
  • the homeless man hanging out in Sam's Food Store parking lot (you two look most elegant this evening – let me get the door for you and I won't even be asking you for any money)
  • the professional ladies working the neighbourhood (gosh ma'am you look so nice and dressed up) – this was part of a conversation where I supported her on her statement "No glove – no love" to a perspective client
  • to the regular working folk waiting for the streetcar (I love that hat, where did you get it?). – the hat was from a small church shop in Alabama

 
Here’s a photo of the Toronto skyline from our balcony @ Dundas/Sherbourne.  We think we have a million dollar view.  We wouldn’t give it up for anything. 

    No comments: